Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wednesday night waddling

I really need to get back to morning running because I just can't get this night running thing down. I went out tonight without eating properly, so I felt uneasy the entire time. But, hey, I was running along the Saint John River on a beautiful May evening so it can't be that bad. I walked out the door at a 7:45 p.m., when the sun was just starting to descend behind the hills and a gentle wind was at my back -- more on that a bit later. I took the first kilometre pretty easy, 4:25, and then tried to pick it up from there. I started to average 4:15s but I just couldn't get in my groove. On the way home, I didn't realize how helpful that wind was because oiyeee it felt like running into a brick wall at times. By the time I tagged the telephone pole outside my house, I think I finished in about 34:45. Not bad, but I would have liked to take a minute off.
What is really starting to bother me is I'm just not at the level I was this time last year. Granted, I haven't done any consistent speedwork, which I intend to start post haste, I'm starting to worry about the season. I need to become a heck of a lot more consistent in my running and I need some of my friends to get on me each day that I cop out of a scheduled run!

No comments: