Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Morning run

Yes, those of you faithful readers to my, recently, unfaithful running blog will notice that I just wrote "morning run." This is the first time in almost a year that I have woken up, laced up the Asics and went for my run before 5:30 a.m. I miss morning runs even more than I miss the West Wing and how I'm about to miss Studio 60. With Izzie sleeping a lot better these days, I'm hoping this will become less noteworthy as I do more and more early morning runs.
Before I get too far along in this blog, I have to say. What is up with all those mosquitoes? Just before I started my run, I noticed that my laces weren't done up through the final series of holes, so I stopped, took off one shoe and as I was fixing my laces, I was absolutely dive bombed by these famished insects. We're talking shock-and-awe mosquito tactics. It was absolutely insane. Anyone know of tricks to test for West Nile?
Once I salvaged my exposed skin from those unwarranted attacks, I trotted out for a quick 5K run. It was my first run in almost two weeks, so I didn't want to push too much. I realize that I need to stop running 5K loops or else my overall fitness isn't going to get back to where it was in March. I finished in, roughly, 20:30. I had some slow middle Ks, but I brought the last 1,000m home in 3:50, which felt good. I'm not sure when the last time I posted a 3:50 min/K.
I'm sitting in the office now, about to put out my calls and I have to say, I feel great. Let's hope this continues.

No comments: