Friday, August 17, 2007

A nice easy 26K

Today was my first run since last Friday, we were in Maine for a vacation and while I had my running gear, alas no running happened. Unless you count running from outlet store to outlet store as training. I didn't think so.
So today, I went out for a 26K run. If you call last week a cutback week, where I missed a LSD, this is 4K farther than my last LSD. In my mind, this isn't pushing too much, and I hope to get 30K or 32K on my next LSD. Back to this run, my first 13K were pace, plus 25 seconds or so. Aside from the first two splits and a few sprinkled here and there, I kept that pretty close the entire time -- so they were supposed to be between 4:50 min/k and 5 min/k. The final 13K were supposed to be near goal marathon pace, so around 4:30 min/k. I only had four splits of more than 4:40 in the last half, which is four more than I had hoped but it was still a good run. I only had one sub-4:30 min/k, however, and I had been hoping for a few more of those. I finished in about 2:03:30, my Garmin is in the van. I did a negative split on the way back and I just missed by about 24 seconds doing the second half in under an hour.
My last two LSDs have given me some hope that my training is going somewhere. I just don't feel like my short stuff is where it should be. Why can't I hold a sub-4-minute pace for longer than 5K? Last year, I was running 18:40 5Ks in training with some kick left at the end. I hope it is just the lack of mileage. I won't be ready for a great Saint John marathon but I'm hoping Moncton will be a more approriately timed event, training wise.
 

No comments: