Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tuesday's intervals

Alas Wednesday is my rest day and I feel I deserve it after three solid days of consecutive running. I had a great interval session last night. I opted for 6x800m repeats.
My splits were quite consistent, which is encouraging because the last few times I've done interval sessions my initial splits were on pace and then I started slipping at the end.
For the record they were: 3:01, 3:00, 2:59, 2:55, 3:00 and 2:59.
The 2:55 lap was a bit of an anomaly. I glanced down at my Garmin and I think I misread the pace so I really kicked it up in the last 200 metres and was pleasantly surprised when I crossed the 800 metre threshold. It is one of those sessions where I was finished thinking, "maybe I should add two more repeats just for fun." That is the bizarre thing about intervals is during the lap I'm pushing it to the point where I'm not sure I could go much faster (and still do another repeat) and yet at the end I still have some energy leftover. Perhaps I'm not pushing enough? Anyway, t his is moot because the little voice on my shoulder advised against it, so I went home had a bowl of cereal and dozed off to sleep.
The one interesting side note on this run is that when I calculated the distance and time, I ran 4.8K in 17: 55. I know those splits have 90 second recovery periods built in but that would put me on pace to break my  5K PB. Just something that popped into my head.

No comments: