Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Night Tempo

The past five days have been one of the toughest weeks of my career in terms of absolute chaos. I was yearning for a run all day and I almost missed it. We are heading to visit the inlaws tomorrow so I can run my first race on Sunday, so I had to make an evening Wal-Mart run for diapers, wipes, summer baby PJs et al. By the time I got back home, it was well past 8 p.m. and getting dark. I immediately ditched all my stuff and jumped into my running gear. I was supposed to do a 13K tempo, but considering it was so late and Sunday I'm racing 15K, I thought I could get away with less. So I went for a 7K tempo, but I made sure I kept a strong clip. My goal was to run at 4:00 min/K pace and that is exactly what I did. I paid much closer attention to my real-time pace than normal and that helped me slow down when I wanted to pick it up early on and it kept me strong as the run drew to a close.
With my first run of the season less than 36 hours away, I didn't want to go all out so I made sure I brought it in on pace. I finished my 7K in 27:56 or 3:59 min/K. My splits were 4:01, 4:00, 4:00, 3:57, 4:02, 3:56, 3:57.
I'm feeling good now. Just watching the Habs-Hurricanes game and about to read an article in the new Running Times.

No comments: