Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Half-Marathon Race Plan

 

This may be my last day to get a significant post on my blog before I depart for the ING Ottawa half-marathon. I've been asking a lot of people about their goal times and race strategy, so I guess it's only fair that I outline my game plan. I've been stressing for the last 10 weeks about how I'm going to run the race and whether I'm fit enough to keep up my pace. So first my goal times, my overall goal is to PB which is sub-1:34:17. Unless the heat completely kills me, I think that is doable. From there, my goal is sub-1:30:00 and my dream goal is sub-1:28:00. I think the 1:30:00 is doable if, and this is a big if, I can maintain my race strategy.

My goal strategy is to maintain 4:15 min/k splits, which if you do the math that brings me to 1:30:00. I have no false allusions, this is going to be tough. I've done more tempo and interval work than ever so I don't think speed will be a problem. However, I just don't feel that I've done enough distance in the last 10 weeks. I felt I could have maintained the 4:00 min/k pace for another couple of kilometres after the Fredericton 10K race and when I did my 15K race three weeks ago I felt I could have maintained 4:08 min/k for another couple of kilometres. But I always seem to fall apart when it comes close to 21K. In this 10-week training period, I've only done one 20K, one 18K and several 15-18K. And if heat is a factor as the long-range forecast suggests that could also impact on my ability to maintain that pace. If you put any stock in those race time predictors then I should be able to hit 1:30:00, but I am growing a bit anxious.

Obviously I hoping 4:15 min/k pace will sustain me for the first half of the race and once I pass 17K I'll try to start picking up the pace for a negative split. The only negative split I've ever achieved in a race was the Fredericton 10K, so I'm hoping I've started a new trend.

My hydration strategy is pretty simple, I'm going to make sure I get liquids at every stop and perhaps try for a second cup if the mercury does surpass 25 degrees. The sunscreen will be applied like it is going out of style, I have no intention to subjecting myself to any undue sunburns.

So anyway, that is the plan so far. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: