Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Monday's brush with a bee

Monday was my first afternoon run in a long, long time. And now I remember why I've never been a big fan of lunch time runs. The run started fine, a bit quick but nothing silly. The sun was beating down hard on the trail. I left from in front of the legislative assembly and went out toward Marysville on the trail. At the mid-way point, just past the Marysville Place, I discovered I had been running with the wind and all of a sudden it was in my face. That was not fun, my splits really started to drop at this point.
With 3K left, I felt a prick in the middle of my back, I quickly turned around and saw some black insect-like thing on me. I swatted it off. Ran a few steps, realized that I was likely stung by a bee. Ran a few more steps, realized that if I was stung the stinger is likely stuck in my shirt and I could be pricked a few more times. Right then, I came to an abrupt stop, and while doing a cross between the chicken-dance/fox-trot/hippie-hippie-shake/macarana I ripped off my shirt. I ran the rest of the way without a shirt, first time I've ever done that and I apologize to anyone in Fredericton who saw me. I really had no choice. I ended up running 12K in 4:32 min/k. Wow it is hot and humid out there.
 

No comments: