Monday, October 30, 2006

Finally have 20K in the books

Seven days before my half-marathon (hopefully) I finally have 20K in the log book. In a typical training period this would be my taper, but this is not normal and I'm not gunning for any great time in Moncton.
I had a great Sunday. It started when we took a family 2.7K walk around the neighbourhood before naptime (what can I say every route in the neighborhood is GPS'd, so no walk is just a walk anymore). Once everyone was asleep I did my 20K run! This was only two weeks delayed. The last time I remember running 20K was the NCM half marathon. I wanted to keep the pace slower than I hope to run next weekend's half-marathon, but fast enough to see how much I've lost in the last two months.
I will post my splits later, but the first 10K was fine. I had a few fast splits but they generally were during the two downhill segments along the Lincoln Road. I generally kept my times plus-minus five seconds of 4:40 min/k. I really felt good during this part. My feet were a bit sore but that is due to my desperate need for new shoes.
When I turned around that is when the wind really bothered me. It was there the entire run but it was gusting from the side. The final 10K was into a direct headwind. To say it was brutal would be an understatement. It totally killed my final few splits, I couldn't breathe it was so bad. In fact, I ended up yelling at the wind a few times for a brief respite, to no avail, I ended up looking like an idiot.
I ended up averaging 4:43 min/k for the 20K. For its many faults, this run proved that I can run a half-marathon next weekend. I won't be a speed demon but hopefully it will get me in the right mental frame to start marathon training.

No comments: