Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Marathon stats

Marathonguide just posted the 2006 marathon statistics for the United States. Now I know this is a Canadian running blog, but I think there is some really interesting information contained here and I can't imagine our stats being much different than our friends south of the border.
For instance, the marathon is continuing to see growth in the number of participants. The number of people toeing the line in the U.S. in 2006 grew by 3.7 per cent with almost 400,000 people finishing marathons. I'm really not sure what to make of the gender breakdown and perhaps we read much into them other than both men and women are flocking to the sport. The number of male finishers increased by 3.8 per cent compared to a 3.5 per cent increase for women.
The average time in my 25-29 age group is 4:24:22, which makes me feel a bit better about my own times! Anyway, the fastest age group is men between 40-44, which is 4:20:44.

No comments: