Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Blown out of Bouctouche

This season I've told myself repeatedly that I will not dwell on poor race performances until I start actually putting in the training required that should translate into decent race times. That applies to my weekend trip to Bouctouche. I was heading there with the girls anyway, so my dear wife could read Harry Potter in peace and quiet. Friday night I stayed up late so I could buy her book at midnight, got to sleep around 1 a.m., up at 6 a.m. to drive to Bouctouche. My inlaws were waiting at the race start line with my bib, I pinned it to my shirt, warmed up for 15 minutes and then ran. Bouctouche's 10K race is one of my favourites for its nice, scenic route. The first year I ran it, 2005, I benefited from a beautiful wind at my back. This year, my lack of training was exacerbated by a stiff headwind for the entire race. I tried to keep my pace to 4 min/K to 4:05 min/K. That worked for the first 6K or so, then it all went downhill ... just as the course started tilting uphill. I ended up around 43:40, not the 46 minutes the results page lists. The best part of the entire race was finishing and then having the girls waiting for me. That makes any race, even the worst, worth running.

No comments: