Sunday, July 08, 2007

Miramichi 10K

Just a quick note before the girls wake up. I just got back from my second running of the Miramichi Rock'n Roll 10K, which also served as the provincial 10K championships. Last year, I was fifth overall, fourth in my age group and set a PB of 38:42 (or something, check the sidebar). This year, I wasn't as fast, there were faster runners but I had a great time. I went up with Bruce, who ran his first ever 5K race today. He had a smokin' time of about 31 minutes, I'm waiting to see the final results posted a bit later. I promised myself that because I hadn't trained, I wouldn't push myself. I wanted 4 min/K splits and I started that way, albeit for only 3K. I went 3:52. 4:00 and 4:02 before they all started slipping over 4:10. Whatever. It was a brilliant day for a race and I think the Miramichi race is one of the hidden gems of the Run NB series. It has a first-class set of volunteers, probably the best 10K shirt in the province and a wonderfully flat course. I would never have cracked 41 minutes today if it wasn't for the course. It was also the perfect temperature, probably about 12 degrees and overcast. When I hit 4K and I looked at my watch, I knew that breaking 40 minutes was a pipedream. But I locked in at an even pace, I never went above 4:18 min/K, which normally I would be embarassed if I even approached during a race, but today was different. I was also running with a good pack of racers. Two women and a handful of guys. We each took turns running up at the front. I was passed by about three of them around 8K and I ended up getting each of them passed again, albeit the last two with about 50 metres to go. In hindsight, perhaps I could have flirted with 40 minutes or at least 40:10 but I just didn't have it in my legs or my heart. I feel great now, my left hammy is still a tad sore but I can walk on it. I think I hear one of the girls stirring, so I'll hit send and perhaps update a bit later.
All in all another great day racing.

Update: Here is the link for the Rock'n Roll 10K results. Hopefully there will be some photos posted soon.

No comments: