Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday run in Bouctouche

Although I am typing this about 10 hours after I finished, I feel remarkably refreshed for running 30K this morning. I had one of the most scenic 30K runs of my life, only Banff nothwithstanding. I had stressed all night about where I would get my run in, not knowing where any runner-friendly areas are in Bouctouche. So I went for a safe route, which turned out to be absolutely amazing. I ran beside the Northumberland Strait along the highway as the sun peaked over the ocean. Of the highlights, 4K on the Bouctouche Dune boardwalk because at one point it was ocean to the right of me and ocean to the left of me.
I ran fairly aggressively out because I had the hills and wind in my favour, which meant I fought a serious headwind for the final 15K. I was not impressed with the wind and hills on the way back. At the turn I had built up a 250-metre cushion which had vanished by 29K. Thankfully I had a bit more gas in the tank so I could finish in 2:29:51, meeting my 5:00 min/K goal. It seems that of late my long runs are the only ones that I consistently finish on pace.

No comments: