Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday run

Up at 5 a.m. for my 26K LSD run. I didn't have time to fuel up, aside from a bite of a banana and trying to escape before I woke up any of the girls. It was pretty dark on the way out so I skipped the trail and opted for the slightly hillier Lincoln road route. I ran some really uneven splits. I don't believe in the first 13K I was more than 10 seconds above or below my goal pace, but they did jump around a lot. I'm not sure if that was because of Garmin errors or me errors -- I'd like to blame the former rather than the latter. On the way back, the sun was coming out and so I turned back to the trail. I could also feel the heat picking up, thankfully I could open up the front of my shirt a bit.
I noticed that I my splits were starting to sag a bit, nothing major, but they were all five or eight seconds slower than I intended. At 8K to go, my dying Garmin announced "low battery" so I figured I needed to pick up the pace or fear it actually going kaput while en route. I picked up my tempo and finished most of my splits around 15 to 20 seconds faster. If memory serves, I ended up running 26K in 2:09:43 at 4:58 pace. My quads are still a bit tight, but it was a decent run. I just wish it didn't start so early.

No comments: