Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Race weather

So much of Sunday's race hinged on the weather. Too hot and I'd melt or too cold and my joints would freeze. Thankfully I could not have experienced better race weather. The mercury hit about 12 degrees and a nice blanket of clouds kept everything cool. And even better there was very little wind to add any more resistance than the 42.2K already provided.
Because the weather was so mild I did not have to fret about race attire when I drove downtown. More importantly I could just focus on executing my race strategy.
Nailing 4:30min/Ks was easy in the early going. I barely broke a sweat, which can be partially credited to the overcast skies. Although marathon pain can never be fully muted, just gazing around at the amazing scenery made me forget temporarily how much pain I was experiencing.
Having such a magnificent day to run was never more evident than in the waning 7K. I had already hit the wall. Actually “hit” doesn't fully take into account my pain; neither does slammed, ran into, crashed or collided. I smashed into The Wall as if it had been coming at me at mach speed. The result was akin to a space shuttle running over a rabbit ... a weak, defenceless rabbit. But I digress. The point is if I had hit the wall on a really hot day, I probably would have been forced to walk. I crossed the finish line with a smile, sore legs and a brand new 3:19:00 PB.
If only every future marathon I race in could have such great weather.

No comments: