Friday, October 28, 2005

Training tips from Matt Downin

I have never heard of this guy, but hey, his marathon times are better than mine, so I thought I'd pass it along to my faithful blog readers. (I've edited for length.)

Training With... MATT DOWNIN
The New Hampshire native has a 10,000m pr of 28:08.04 and a marathon pr of 2:18.48. Matt, who recently finished an excellent 3rd over 10,000m at the USATF Championships, is currently preparing for the New York City Marathon. Here is a look at how he trains.

What is the general philosophy behind your training?
I believe in training that is based on strength and aerobic capacity first and foremost. I do lots of long easy runs and hard aerobic runs before I get into any faster/shorter runs.

Who do you train with (or do you do most of your runs, workouts alone)?
I do almost all of my training alone. Once or twice a week I will meet with some people to train.

What is your average weekly mileage during the winter? During the summer?
During the winter my mileage builds to a max of about 85 or 90 miles. During the summer I will get up to about 110 or so miles per week.

What is the most mileage you have done in a week?
I ran about 120 miles in one week getting ready for the New York Marathon.

Please give us a sample week during the start of marathon training
Monday- 10 miles easy run of around 70 minutes
Tuesday- AM easy 4 miles
PM 25 minute warm-up and 5 X 1K repeat at about 2:55 with 2 minutes rest. 25 minute cool-down
Wednesday- AM easy 5 mile run
PM easy 10 miles of about 70 minutes
Thursday- Easy 9 mile run of about 60 minutes
Friday- AM easy 4 mile run
PM 3 mile warm-up followed by 5 miles at 5:00 pace followed by 3 mile cool-down
Saturday- AM 4 mile easy run
PM 8 mile easy run
Sunday- 2 hour long run or about 18 miles

Please give a sample week during most intense part of marathon training
Monday- AM easy 45 minute run or about 6 miles
PM 70 minute run of 10 miles
Tuesday- AM 30 minutes easy or 4 miles
PM 3 mile warm-up followed by 5 X Mile repeat at 4:45 or so followed by 3 mile cool-down
Wednesday- AM 35 minutes easy or 5 miles
PM 70 minute run of about 10 miles
Thursday- Easy 70 minute run of 10 miles
Friday- 3 mile warm-up followed by 10 miles at marathon pace of 5:05 or so followed by 3 mile cool down
Saturday- AM easy 30 minute run
PM easy 70 minute run
Sunday- Long run of about 23 miles or 2:30

Please give sample week during the taper period of marathon training (week of race).
Monday- Off (no running)
Tuesday- AM 60 minutes easy running
PM easy 25 minute run
Wednesday- 3 mile warm-up followed by 5 X 1K at marathon race pace followed by 3 mile cool down
Thursday- AM easy 25 minute run
PM easy 35 minute run
Friday- Easy 30 minute run
Saturday- Easy 25 minutes with a few light strides
Sunday- Marathon race day

For the marathon, please give a couple (2-3) of your key workouts.
My key workout is the tempo run that I do once a week. That run is done at between 4:45 and 5:10 pace for 5-12 miles. I also do a workout that is in-and-out miles for twelve miles. That is alternating miles of 5:00 pace and 6:00 pace.

No comments: