Sunday, March 26, 2006

100th post

I've hit the century mark in terms of posts on my running blog. Wow, that clearly illustrates how much I need a life. Alas I shouldn't digress too far into how much time I spend updating for my faithful blog readers ... I see the site tracker, you all should post more!
This is actually a make-up post. I didn't have time to post about my Saturday run. It was my first run with my new Asics 2110s and wow are they amazing. Not just, "Hey these kicks are pretty cool." But, they reminded me of how great running can be when you have the right equipment. My shins and lower leg muscles were still pretty sore from all my running with the old shoes, but my feet felt like I had them strapped to pillows.
I did a 10K "LSD". I'm having a tough time getting my head around the shorter training distances for half-marathons considering I'm generally training for marathons. That probably sounds really silly to complain about "short" training runs, but it has been quite an adjustment. Although my wife loves the fact I'm not leaving for three hours at a time anymore.
I set Veep to keep me to a 4:20 min/km pace but I cheated a bit. I brought it in at an ave. 4:15. The satellites were wonky on Saturday; I did a 4:10 and a 4:31 back-to-back splits and I swear my pace didn't change. The trail was great, nice and firm, not too muddy. When I was heading down the back stretch on the way home, I passed a girl with a UNB Cross Country uniform on. I was feeling pretty good, but then I saw the 4:31 split. I was gobsmacked. The only answer has to be faulty GPS or else, I was enjoying the new sneakers a bit too much.
In the end, I was happy every K was on target or under, except for the bizarre one. Brought the last K home in 3:58, just to see how the shoes finished a run. My K splits were: 4:16, 4:18, 4:19, 4:06, 4:16, 4:09, 4:21, 4:10, 4:31 and 3:58.

No comments: