Thursday, March 09, 2006

The trails are open

Wahoo! I did it! I ran on the Fredericton trail for the first time this year. I'm not joking, I wouldn't joke about something this important. Normally this doesn't happen for at least another month ... last year I tried to run in early May and had to abort becausae of ice and snow. I typically prefer trail running because it is easier on my knees, legs, etc, but the gravel was frozen so hard that I'm not sure there was any more give than the road. All that is moot, I ran on the trail and it is only March 9. And I'd like to point out that I wasn't the only person, I passed another happy trail runner. Oh the joy. And to finish of my seasonal rant, guess what. I only stepped on snow for about five paces, the rest was pure trail alongside the St. John River. Oh I'm in heaven.
I decided to go out this morning, which is also the first morning run I've done in months. I'm supposed to be running a 10K on Saturday, so I didn't want to kill myself. I opted for an easy 8K. I finished in 35:45 with splits of 4:35, 4:30, 4:33, 4:30, 4:31, 4:18, 4:23, 4:19.
I felt strong the whole run, but I really need to buy new shoes. I've exceeded my 800K and I can feel the support is just not there anymore.

1 comment:

JGC Photography said...

I miss the St. John river. Such a power and a beauty, in NB.