Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Speed night

I just got back from my speedwork out, oh, how I loathe my speedworkouts. This week was my foray into 4x800s. I had a late lunch/early dinner at the office and I was hoping it was far enough away from my run so it would be properly digested. (This is what we writer types refer to as foreshadowing.)
Like last week, it was getting too dark to head to a track so instead I went to the trail near my place. Running on a trail was fine, except there was one house that decided to burn some branches, so I had to run through a thick plume of smoke four times. That didn't do a lot for my lungs.
I digress. Anyway, I was hoping to finish all my splits in 2:57. I warmed up for about 2K and then knocked off both of the first two repeats in 2:38. The third repeat was when the rice and chickpeas started to resurface, it was gutted out in three minutes. I really struggled on that split. I tried to pull everything together on the last split and finished the final 800 in 2:53. I had an easy jog back to my house, you know it was a tough workout when even your heart rate monitor strap feels about eight sizes too small.
Well at least it's done now. Tomorrow it's a tempo run.

No comments: