Thursday, June 22, 2006

First foray back into blogging

This will be by far my most concise race report.
Assomption Run 10K, Dieppe, N.B.
Time: 42:16
Overall place: 9
Age group place: 2
For many reasons this was a tough day for me. I drove to Dieppe first thing Saturday morning, arriving 45 minutes before the race. I sprinted into the gym, signed up and had 20 minutes to warm up. Making things more difficult, I was so nervous about missing the race that I could barely tie my shoes because my feet were still shaking so much! It was hot, holy heck, it was hot and humid before the race even started.
This course hurt my ego pretty bad. It was hilly -- not CTRR hilly, but seriously un-flat.  I really wanted to beat 40 minutes, so I set my Garmin to bring me in around 39:30. I started on pace as we left Ecole Anna-Melanfant and turned down a hill and into a little cul-de-sac. Once we came out of the suburban trek, the rolling hills started. I admit, there were no Regent Streets, but my quads were pretty sore and we hadn't hit 5K yet. We fought a horrible headwind from the 7.5K turn-around all the way home. It was hot and humid, so I slowed down the pace a bit but after a steady diet of hills and that wind, I just couldn't get on track late in the race. I'm not the only who had this problem and that is just one of the joys of racing. You have your great days and you have your "yesterdays".
But it was a fund-raiser for breast cancer research, so it was a great cause.

No comments: