Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Is that what the sun really looks like?

Finally a break in the weather. I don't mean to sound like one of those woe-is-me, weather complainers, but the constant deluge was starting to get on my nerves. So when the sun broke through Monday, I knew I had no choice but to lace up the shoes and go for a make-up run.
In the end, I went out for an easy 17K run, I believe I finished in 1:16:23. I was supposed to run for 85 minutes and as I was about 4K from home I looked at my Garmin and realized was far short of where I needed to be, so I had to hang an immediate right and tack on an extra 5K. I ended up going through the agricultural complex and ran the 5K course from the March 12 race.
I really got my money's worth out of my Garmin tonight because my training criteria was a time, not a distance so it didn't matter where I ran. So I took new routes and I added some serious hills ... ok, hills are relative, I don't live in Banff ... but I ran only 3.5K on my beloved (flat) trail. I'm happy with my split times considering the number of hills I injected into my route. I've been e-talking a lot about fast finishes, so I made sure each of my last four splits was faster than the previous. My overall splits were 5:08 (ran with the dog), 4:25, 4:28, 4:27, 4:23, 4:19, 4:03 (downhill), 4:33, 4:33, 4:45, 4:41, 4:32, 4:36, 4:26, 4:23, 4:17 and 4:12. My overall pace was 4:28 with an average HR of 169. This was my substitute for my missed Sunday run yesterday due to inclimate weather. I'm happy.

No comments: