Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ga-ga over Garmins

My wonderful wife who I love more than life itself has given me the green light on getting a Garmin. So I posted on the RR forum a question on which Garmin is better the 201 or the 301 and I've included a few responses.

I had a 201 and a HRM but I could not download the HRM data so splurged and got a 301.
Althought the 201 was and still is a great tool the 301 is just that much better. I can use it as a straight HRM turning the GPS off on the treadmill or I can use it as a straight GPS turning the HRM off.
The best part is that you can download all of your runs to the training center software and if you have the Garmin mapsource software it integrates a map into it seemlesly. There is also the option of uploading your trainign runs to the motion based web site or to Google earth.
This technology is incredible when you look at what was available just 3 years ago. The fact is that it is also quite affordable.
This is your sport and it is going to cost a couple of bucks. If you really want the 301 then wait and get what you really want. You will not be sorry
-- Garthw

The real value of having a GPS comes with the really long runs. No more pre-planning. And it really helps keep you on pace because in addition to HR, which drifts up during the run, you're able to see your km splits. Yes it's expensive, but the enjoyment you get out of it more than makes up for it.
GO FOR IT!!!
-- Jim

Having just upgraded to the 301, I strongly suggest that you to wait a couple of weeks until you can afford the extra $$'s for it! The data logging capabilities and the graphics are excellent! I did not have a Heart Rate Monitor before, but am hoping it'll help me train smarter, not harder!
--Trixiee

I have the 201 and I love it. If I were to do it again I would buy the 301 for the heart monitor. I really want a heart monitor, and I think it would be great to have the heart rate information logged withe all the other stuff.
The 301 is roughly the cost of the 201 and a heart rate monitior.
-- rbahen

If you don't already own a HRM then splurge on the 301. Consider it an early x-mas gift. Some things are just worth paying for and a Garmin is definitely one of them.
-- Jim

I have the 201 and absolutely love it! It totally motivates me to know time, distance, pace and calories burned. I know that it isn't super accurate but it seems pretty good. They didn't have the 301 when I bought mine but I would probably buy the 301 for the HR feature. My friend has the 301 but doesn't really use it for HR training. My recommendation would be that you should buy one, as long as you plan on training in your zone
-- oceanp

No comments: