Monday, September 12, 2005

Surviving 30-K

Hello. This is my first post on my new running blog. I love blogs.
Today is my recovery day. I went out for 30K yesterday, which was cancelled last weekend because of my calve/hamstring injury. I finished in 2:22:31. I wanted to keep to 25-min 5Ks but I kept hitting 21 and 23s early on. My splits were 21:49, 24:19 (mostly trails), 23:32 (turn-around point) 23:04, 25:31 (mostly trails) and 24:14
So now I'm kinda worried. When I was running I felt great and I thought I could continue on for another 12K. Once I stopped, however, I just crashed. I really felt terrible, perhaps some dehydration set in and I have to admit that I didn't eat well before the run. I assessed my time and am worried that I'm not where I want to be heading into RVM. If this was marathon day I would have had to complete the final 12.2K in 48 minutes to BQ. Completing that distance in 48 minutes is typically no problem, when that is my entire run for the day. But after already running 30K, I'm not sure if I was in the condition to pull that off. Then again, this could be some early jitters.
I did take one thing from yesterday's run, I am no longer a fan of Cliff Shots. They did nothing for me, I am experimenting with some Car-booms this weekend and if they don't work, I'm heading back to Powerbar gels.

No comments: