Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Six laps of silliness

If someone can enlighten me why I opted to do six, 2.7K laps around the neighbourhood? Repetitive scenery, knee-pounding pavement and the constant yearning to stop early.
I gutted it out in 1:12:24. I had a 161 average HR and 176 max HR. My splits were 11:51, 12:07, 12:17, 12:21, 12:01, 11:45 and 11:50. Quick calculations tell me I wrapped each K in an average of 4:45 or about 20 seconds slower than dream marathon pace.
I had a grand total of zero energy today. I feel my immune system is on the brink of meltdown, leaving me like Wylie Coyote staring back at the Roadrunner who is 20 feet away still standing on the mountain ledge ... only one way for my health to go.
Less than a month to RVM and I need to throw the hammer down on the training. I worry that I'm not intense enough. I've got the aerobic base there but I'm missing that final gear that will allow me to bust through the 22-mile wall and score a PB. On Oct. 9, I'm going have to bring my A-game and I'm going have to bring it writ large.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It may have been a silly run, but at least you finished.