Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Holy Hills Batman

I went out with five hill training superstars tonight. We did a light warm up by running to Case Road and discussed the dreaded hill repeats. En route I think everyone was pretty relaxed considering the intensity of the looming session. When we arrived at the base of the hill, the idea was to jog easily up the incline, head back down, and at that point, we would start the training session. Instead, we arrived at the bottom and as I started to explain what we were going to do, one turned to me and said, "Can we just run?" So off they went.
We broke the hill into two distinct parts, the fun section and the hilarious portion. They earned their nicknames for obvious reasons, because running up a hill at 85 per cent of your max capacity teeters between fun and hilarious. Um, yeah, well perhaps that was intended with a touch of sarcasm.
After four repeats everyone was ready to head back, but they all looked strong. There was some tired legs and some burning lungs. If no one broke a sweat or had no effects, I would assume they didn't work hard enough. I think everyone did a great job.
I can't wait to hear how everyone else made out on their first hill session. As I was running up the hill, I remember a great running quote:
"I hate this hill!"
"This isn't a hill, it's an incline."
"Fine, I hate this incline!"

No comments: