Friday, February 17, 2006

Running by moonlight

There are days in your life when you just need to run. Runners always want to run but some days are just different. There is just this feeling you have in the depth of your soul that demands you run. That was me last night.

I was in Saint John yesterday at a PUB hearing, listening to lawyers and experts discuss NB Power's rate increase. To say the debate was esoteric would be an understatement. These suits were discussing hedging fuel purchases and the merits of export credits. I consider myself a fairly intelligent individual, but I was even getting lost during that session. As the day moved on, I just needed to run. So once I got home and gave Elle her bath and everyone went to bed, I went for my delayed hill routine. The unfortunate part about the run is I was so stressed and so busy during the day that I forgot to eat after lunch, so I scarfed down a half of a Protein Plus bar 20 minutes before I laced up the Asics.

As I stood outside waiting for my Garmin to catch a satellite signal, I looked up at the heavens as if I thought by actually seeing the satellites that would speed up the process. It was such a mild night, if it was any colder than five degrees I would be shocked. Started out, I felt stiff and my form seemed clunky. I just couldn't get my cadence smoothed out. Nonetheless, I was on the road heading to my hill. And when I got to the hill, my form was getting even worse. I noticed I was leaning into the hill, my hips were too far forward, arms swinging too high, fists clenched and my stride was all wrong. But I was running. I could really feel on my fourth and fifth hill repeat that I really needed to eat, the hunger pangs were becoming more noticeable. Did I mention that at that precise moment I didn't care because I was running?

As I jogged back to my house during my cool down, I was feeling like my form was finally coming back to me. Blasting down Lonewater et al, my legs were getting stronger, odd considering I just finished six hill repeats. I finished in roughly 45 minutes (I left my Garmin at home and I didn't check the time once I finished). Was it my best run, not a chance, but it was great just to get out under the moon and relax. By no means am I a runner who needs music when I'm out, but last night it would have been nice to have an Ipod thingy. One day … maybe … well, probably not.

No comments: