Saturday, January 07, 2006

The first day

After weeks of suspense, this morning was the first 10K clinic session. From my prespective, it went well considering I had no idea what to expect heading into the morning. Eight of the 11 registered participants showed up and we had a brief overview of the program and the on-line program. It is a wonderfully diverse group, three graduates from the fall's Learn to Run program, three university friends and some super keen runners. We even have the organizer from Fredericton's Run for the Cure. Everyone is great. My personal goal for the next week or two is to be able to remember one memorable thing about each person.
We went out for an easy 3K run around the downtown. The weather was forgiving, well, compared to some January mornings. There was a light wind and it didn't feel much colder than -5 or so. Getting decent footing on the snow-covered streets was the only mildly annoying part of the run. Everyone looked great completing the run at their own pace. One of the best parts of the morning must have been when I turned the corner around the King's Place mall and I saw everyone who finished ahead of me, stretching on the wall. Now if only I had that dedication to stretching a few months ago, perhaps I wouldn't be getting my left hamstring massaged three days a week. Alas, I digress.
For me, that silly hamstring is still bothering me. I was smart not to push myself too hard. The hamstring is still sore from when Dennis taped it on Thursday. I'm not sure why that simple move has aggravated my muscle so much, but it is truly annoying. I'm hoping to get out for the 6K run tomorrow with the group, but I want to take this rehab nice and easy, so not to make it any worse.
After the run, a few of us went to Second Cup for coffee and conversation. It was great to find out a bit more about some of the folks. Running and good coffee, a great start to the morning.

Map of Fredericton Running Room -- Week One
Fredericton Running Room -- Week One

No comments: