Thursday, January 19, 2006

So, like, where's the snow?

I admit, I don't like snow, I'd rather bucket loads of rain for months on end. But, what I would prefer even more than West Coast weather is a consistent weather pattern. After the temperature dipped to inhumane levels earlier this week, all of a sudden there is no more snow, zero ice and, well the cold rivals a Siberian gulag. Can someone not just move Fredericton to Vancouver Island?
After a week with soaring highs (Elle's first birthday) and work-related lows (silly committee hearings), it felt great to lace up the 2100s, pull up the medium-weight running tights, zip up my winter jacket and pull down the balaclava. Seeing as my Monday 9K went swimmingly, I thought I'd try the same route again, this time the run was infinitely easier. Tonight there was no snow, there was no ice and there was lots of room for improvement. With the weather conditions so wildly different it is silly to compare the two runs other than to say that I felt better tonight. Although it is, um, silly to compare the runs, I just want to point out that obliterated my earlier performance by about four minutes. I concluded the 9K tonight in 41:48, with splits: 4:56, 4:36, 4:30, 4:40, 4:39, 4:37, 4:45, 4:38 and 4:21.
My legs are a bit stiff right now, I've tried to stretch them out. There must be a simpler way to stretch my legs. I have never, ever enjoyed stretching. And now, even armed with the information on how stretching can prevent re-injuring my hamstring, stretching is like flossing, important but tedious. (I think it is important to point out now, it seems my wife has programmed the VCR in Spanish. It is really odd, but right now I am "Grabar" the O.C.)
I'm looking forward to a nice off day tomorrow so I can get ready for a busy weekend.

No comments: