Saturday, January 14, 2006

Saturday morning shuffle

When the calendar is stubbornly stuck in the middle of January there are few days that are more perfect to run in than today. The mercury was stuck around five degrees, with almost no wind, soup-like fog and decent footing. The clinic discussion was on cold weather running and winter gear. We got that out of the way in about 30 minutes, which went by rather quickly considering I've never been in retail and I felt during the clothing chat that I was hawking RR apparel. But I think everything went well. When I was reading up on all the technical aspects of cold weather running gear, I finally started to realize why I'm so darn hot even on my long runs. But I digress.
Anyway, the run was fabulous. Aside from my Garmin malfunction. I was positive I had GPS signal when we left Kings Place but somewhere around Smythe and Charlotte I realized I had zilch. So it took until the YMCA building until I was able to re-acquire a satellite connection, meanwhile, I was slipping and sliding across the road because I was more focused on my Garmin then my footing. So I have three-quarters of the map posted below.
We were doing 10:1s today and I have to admit that they are enjoyable. Not sure I could incorporate them into my long runs (something about old dogs and new tricks) but they are wonderful interruptions. I ran with a few different groups throughout the run. Although halfway through the fog became so thick that it was impossible to see where the other pace groups were so I ended up sticking with two new members.
I must say one of my favourite moments of the morning was the extra large dark roast at Second Cup with the group. Rarely does coffee taste that good than immediately after a run and over some good conversation.
On a side note, my left hamstring feels good. Even better Dennis said on Friday that it appears to be healing well and I'm down to one session from three next week.

Map of RR Week 2 -- partial
RR Week 2 -- partial

No comments: