Saturday, January 28, 2006

Super Saturday

I'm not referring to any special basketball tournaments or a series of crucial football games, but Saturday was a super day. And I don't use super, superfluously. Ok, there I did. But it is my blog after all. I digress.
Derrick was a whiz with the shoe lecture. I'm sure everyone learned at least one thing that they didn't already know, I sure did. I'm more and more convinced that racing flats and I are never going to be great friends, that said, wow are they light. For me going from my Asics, which I think is pretty light, would be like holding Belle in the air without any of her four, furry Golden Retriever paws touching the ground and then picking up Toulouse, our lanky, white cat. I can only imagine that racing in those would be somewhat akin to running in slippers, well minus the fuzzy bunny ears.
After the shoe chat, we laced up the runners that were already on our feet and not on display and went out for our first 8K run. It is striking how quick the pace is picking up. I ran with every pack throughout the morning and I finished in 47:25. Our average split was 5:55, which would put everyone right around a one-hour 10K. A month ago, I'm sure most people would admit that they weren't at that speed. It is great to see such huge strides and we still have six weeks until race day.
Unfortunately, one of our runners had a bit of a spill out on the route, which only aggravated another injury. She is, however, probably the toughest runner out there, so I don't think she is worried that much. And I must say the best part of the day was to see the two women who brought their significant others to the clinic both ended up looking much better after the run than their partners. If I were them I'd be rubbing that in, then again, they are much nicer than I am. Gary came out with us; he was my "buddy" for Bring-a-buddy day. He ended up running with the lead pack the entire time. Perhaps, we may have a new RR recruit.
Anyway, here is today's route. We started at the RR, up York, left on Charlotte, out to Waterloo Row, back along Lansdowne, back down Charlotte and finished with our regular loop by the YMCA and we stopped by the church on George Street. That is 8K.
Map of Fredericton Running Room -- 8K
Fredericton Running Room -- 8K

No comments: