Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Watch out for hills

I ran the tentative course for the March 11 race yesterday. Interestingly if you start inside the experimental farm by a green Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Aquaculture sign and run out toward the back of the farm, turn right, run by the NB Liquor store, turn right along Wilsey Road, turn right into the trail, pop out on the Lincoln Road, turn right on Draco Road, right on some little road that heads back into the farm and stop at the same green sign, my GPS says 4.9K. However, if you do the exact same route but instead of turning right into the trail and turn right on Lincoln Road, the course is 5.1K. That will make for some interesting choices. I will post my GPS map when my laptop returns from Bathurst.
Initial thoughts on the course, it will not be a PB race. It is not the hilliest course I have ever run on, far from it, but there are enough rolling hills that it will be a challenging course. I don't have my splits with me right now but I did the two routes in about 44 minutes and change. I banged out one sub-4:10K splits if I remember correctly during the first half of the course, where it is flat or downhill, but the end is a killer.
My splits for the fun, first route were: 4:13, 4:07, 4:33, 4:25 and 4:22. My splits for the not-so-fun second route were: 4:34, 4:20, 4:31, 4:38 and 4:56.

This is the Google Earth map of the course option where we would cut through the trail and avoid the Lincoln Road for as long as possible.

And this is the version where the race would proceed down Wilsey Road to Lincoln Road. Not much difference, 200 metres obviously, but it means more running beside traffic.

No comments: